Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Food when I was young

Just suddenly thought of some interesting way of serving food when I was small. Most of them are no longer being used but I think it will give all of us a nice read.

  • Bread spreaded with thick butter, and then coated with a sufficient layer of fine sugar. Very smart of me, the main purpose of the butter, is to hold the layer of sugar from dirting the floor, and to neutralise the sweetness of the sugar with its saltiness. I thought I invented that actually, though just found out that I am not the only one doing that.

  • Raisins. I will carefully bite off the tip/end of the raisin, and push the flesh out by sliding your teeth on the skin from one end to another. After having the flesh, finish up the skin. So due to this strange way of finish up a raisin, I fancy the green one than the black one cause the skin of the green one can stand my teeth better. Till now, I am still eating that way.

  • I learned to make my own meals when I was in primary school. A bowl of rice, topped with scrumbled eggs (I can make myself at that age), and a few spoonful of Bovril. Mix it well and it's ready to be served. I can never get bored of it. I can't remember since when I stopped eating that way, should be the time when I was so health concious that I started in controlling my carbohidrate intake.

  • My dad likes watermelon. Normally he'll cut the juicy fruit into slices with skin. But I disliked eating that way. I would clear off the skin and chopped the flesh into approx 1.5"*1.5" cubes. Then, they were sealed with polymer wrap and put into the freezer (yes, freezer). Within an hour, a thin layer of ice will be formed on the surface, but the cubes still aren't hard enough to break your teeth. Put it into your mouth, and your body will immediately fill with a sudden rush of chill. I no longer eating that way, due to my laziness.

  • Oh, this one is probably one of my favourite. I can even make my own junk food! In a half cup fulled of Milo, add in a few tablespoon of water. Mix them well and you shall see a thick dark chocolate mixture. Eat just like that. Yea, just like that. That's why I always get heaty when I was young, and my mum never know I ever have such healthy junk food in my life.

  • I had a mango tree in my first house. So basically I get to eat mango all year long. My mum taught me how to serve the semi-riped mango with prawn paste (har-kou in cantonese) till one fine day I couldn't find any prawn paste in the fridge. This ingenious me started to make my own paste, by mixing sufficient amount of thick dark soy sauce with sugar. To me (at that time), they looked quite alike and I thought they should taste alike. I could finish a full bowl of mangoes with this home-made paste without any diffuculties. It must be quite tasty, I can't remember. But I don't really practice this now.

  • I don't like spicy food when I was young. But always triggered by the smell of my mum's curry, I couldn't resist to have a bite. I would run the meat under the running water to wash away the curry before consumption. Again, my mum never know how I used to waste her effort in making those curries.

Perhaps those ordinary stories happened on you too, just hope that you enjoy your childhood as much as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want my rice...never change...since I was first time fed with rice (should be by my mum), till now, I still want rice, EVERYDAY and if possible EVERY MEAL...